Jump to Navigation
Child Custody / Visitation

Jacksonville Child Custody Lawyer

Florida Child Visitation Attorney

At the Law Office of Douglas A. Oberdorfer, P.A. in Jacksonville, Florida, child custody and visitation issues are something I take very seriously. Both the mother and father need to recognize that the best interests of your children are at stake.

Common Misconceptions

There is a perception that child custody and visitation issues affect the mother more than the father since she is usually the primary caregiver. That is simply not the case. The father has an equal right to seek physical custody of his children if it is in their best interest. Any visitation plan that is created for either the mother or the father is based on an initial level of what they are entitled to according to the law. From there, I will tailor a visitation plan and schedule based on everyone's needs and desires.

Changes in Child Custody or Visitation

It is of vital importance that your attorney be proactive in determining sole or joint legal custody and visitation matters. Revisiting the issue to make changes is difficult because you have to prove that circumstances have changed dramatically since the final judgment was entered, and that events that have occurred since that time could not have been contemplated and were unforeseeable. Again, I go forward with a modification of custody or visitation only if it is in the best interests of your child or children. The Law Office of Douglas A. Oberdorfer, P.A. always acts with the children’s best interests in mind.

Terminology: Florida's attorneys and judges have moved away from using terms like physical custody, legal custody, shared custody, sole custody, and visitation time. New terminology emphasizes each parent's right and obligation to parent the child. Examples of new terminology include: parental time sharing, primary time-sharing parent, secondary time-sharing parent, parenting plan, and co-parenting.

Paternity Actions

If a child is born out of wedlock to two single parents, the father must establish paternity before he has a claim for custody or visitation. I have represented fathers who wish to spend time with their child and are seeking parental rights

When it comes to issues that affect children, I encourage mediation, but will litigate if the situation warrants it. Please contact me for more information or to schedule an appointment.